Travelling to the Highlands & getting around
It has never been easier for travellers to access the Scottish Highlands. Inverness, the hub and capital of the Highlands, is well served by public transport and is the main point for traveling on to the wider Highlands. Dalcross Airport, on the outskirts of the city, offers flights from many regional UK airports.
We have listed a few of the options available for traveling to and from the Highlands and other options available to get you around once you are here.
- HIAL – Live flight information for Inverness (Dalcross) Airport
- HIAL – Highlands & Islands website
- Scotrail Journey checker – live train schedule – cancellations and update info
- DirectRail.com – train search from across the country
- My Train Ticket
- National Rail – enquiries for the Inverness area
- Traffic Scotland – real time and future traffic condition info
- Loch Ness & Inverness private Taxi & Tours
- Highland Taxis – based in Inverness
- Tartan Taxis – based in Inverness
- Stagecoach – coaches and bus travel to, and within, the Highlands
- Rapsons – coaches and buses operating in the Highlands – Airport shuttle service
- Focus Vehicle rental – car hire in Inverness – Airport depot also
- Budget car hire – Inverness city and Airport car hire – national one way hire available
- C&E Taxi – Dingwall area
- Don’s Taxi – Dingwall area
- The Kyle Taxi Company – The Isle of Skye & Kyle of Lochalsh area
- Skye Car hire & Taxi service – We are the leading car rental company in the Skye and Lochalsh area which enables us to supply all makes of vehicles to you directly to your business or holiday destination
- Wullie’s Tours – Wullie’s Tours offers a unique experience of the Scottish Highlands. In his fully disabled-friendly new tourer, Wullie is able to take bookings for up to 7 passengers for a lively, friendly, well-informed tour.
- A2B Contracts – All drivers have been vetted by the Northern Constabulary.
- Fairwinds Cycle Hire – on the Isle of Skye
- Jamie’s Taxi Service – Taxi service based in Fort William, the Outdoor Capital of the UK. Also available for airport transfers, tours and contract hire
- Greyhound – Taxi service and tours in the Fort William area.
- Ali’s Taxi & Tours – The taxi service is based in Ballachulish near Glencoe and Onich, but also covers Kinlochleven, Fort William, Duror, Kentallan and the general Lochaber area.
- Off Beat Bikes – bike hire and repairs in Fort William, aiming is to help customers get the very best out of our spectacular surroundings by offering quality equipment, friendly service and informed advice.
- Caledonian MacBrayne – Ferries around the Scottish Coast
- The Skye Ferry - The modern traveller is somewhat better served by the unique six car turntable ferry that operates across the narrows through the summer months
- Cromarty Ferry – The only ferry service from the Black Isle, travelling between Cromarty and Nigg
- Pentland Ferries – The shortest and quickest sea route to Orkney with your car from the Scottish mainland